Sunday, July 3, 2011

Which Do You Prefer, Cacophony or Quiet?

I would like to point all my readers towards this fabulous article from the New York Times today:

Which Do You Prefer, Cacophony or Quiet? - NYTimes.com

I just love the word "Cacophony."

I find a lot of truth in the ideas presented in the article. It seems an oxymoron to seek a place of solitude in the big, bustling New York City. However, if you look hard enough (often right in front of your own eyes), you will find places that are beautiful and peaceful despite the surrounding noise.

I own a fantastic book entitled New York's 50 Best Places to Find Peace and Quiet. Click on the picture for details:



I've visited a number of the places I read about in the book. I am now looking to check out The Elevated Acre. Anyone interesting in joining me?

Additionally, if you open your eyes and ears to the sounds and sights of the city, you may be shocked at how beautiful the city really is! (I know, I know, I sound like a city girl... but I'm really serious!) There is art in everything around us, from the music of the cars rushing down the streets and the subways screeching into the station. There is art in the trees rustling in the wind, and the colorful clothes outfitting our fellow New Yorkers. I mentioned in a previous post about the art in the Subway stations, but I'll extend that to the artistic details of the architecture on the buildings. Our senses just need to be fine-tuned to recognize the beauty, but once we start noticing... well, we just can't stop!

Keep me posted on your findings!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post with a name, not anonymous.

How do I post a comment?
http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=42399