Thursday, July 14, 2011

Flowers... on a roof?!

A few nights ago, I made my way downtown to the Financial District. I was on a mission to discover a secret hideaway, built for New Yorkers seeking to escape the overwhelming noise of the city streets.

What I found was The Elevated Acre, located at 55 Water Street. 

Allow me to take you on a tour.

First, you must find the hidden staircase.
Credit: www.55Water.com

Ride the escalator or take the stairs up to the top. When you get there, you will see this:
Credit: www.55water.com

You have entered into a world of beauty, filled with flowers and greenery, overlooking the East River with magnificent views of the Brooklyn Bridge and beyond.

A view from the other side:
Credit: www.55Water.com

The landscaping is gorgeous! As I walked around, I noticed yellow daisies peaking out from behind some bushes. I felt like I was in a royal garden.



At night, a 50 foot LED light sculpture entitled "The Beacon of Progress," lights up the plaza. 
credit: www.NYTimes.com

On the other side, there is a huge lawn with "year round grass" (i.e. fake grass that looks remarkably real).
Credit: www.elevatedacre.com

The night I was there, I saw a young couple relaxing on the grass and enjoying each other's company. They looked like they had just gotten out of work.

If you are in the neighborhood, I encourage you to check it out! The Elevated Acre is minutes away from The South Ferry subway station, Staten Island Ferry and Battery Park. It is also on the same block as the Police Museum and the beautiful Vietnam Veterans Memorial (both of which will be detailed in coming posts).

Check out http://www.elevatedacre.com/ for more information.


The Elevated Acre at 55 Water Street is open Daily: May 1 through Sept. 30, 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.; Oct 1 through April 30, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. 
Free Admission (!)


2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!! Thanks for letting me know about it!
    ~Mindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! I'm so glad I looked at Leah's blog because this place is great! I went with a friend for a picnic supper and we really, really enjoyed it! It's beautiful, quiet, very empty,and relaxing. It was very easy to get to as well- we took the 1 train- and it's also close to other wonderful places in NYC. (Great place for a date! ... until the rest of the world hears about it!)Thanks, Leah!

    ReplyDelete

Please post with a name, not anonymous.

How do I post a comment?
http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=42399