Sunday, September 4, 2011

What does it take to be a tourist in NYC?

What does it take to be a real tourist in New York City?

I was walking on 42nd street today, and decided to try being a real New York City tourist.

I do consider myself a tourist in my own city because I check out places that regular New Yorkers are too busy to check out, but today I acted like a tourist!

So, what does it take?

1. While walking on the street, stop short - causing everyone walking behind you to trip and make sharp to turns to avoid hitting you - and point out a random thing on top of a building/on the sidewalk/in the street.

2. Walk really, really, really, really slowly.

3. Wear t-shirts that display your country of origin.

4. Take really random pictures of the most boring, random things, like a subway station:


or a police officer and a bus:


5. Of course, how can you be a tourist in NYC if you don't take a picture of an advertisement on a tall building!



6. Be sure to stand in the middle of the street to take a picture of traffic:



Enough with taking pictures...

7. On the subway, stare at the subway map with a majorly confused look on your face, and point to different locations while having an animated discussion. Don't forget to gesture wildly!

8. Or, sit on the subway and study a Subway map as if it's a complicated math textbook.

(Shout out to my dear friend N - guess what! I took a picture of this guy and he didn't realize!! You're allowed to do that if it's a public area).

9. Have loud conversations with your friends on the Subway and in the street.

Yes, I know this is a little sarcastic, but I had fun :-).

If you have anything to add, please post in the comments!!! I will add anything suggested to the list!

4 comments:

  1. Tourists: probably the most annoying thing about NYC after the pigeons. You forgot to mention how one must giggle incessantly during subway rides and fall on top of their fellow tourists each time the subway jerks to stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tourists actually listen to announcements on the subway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch!
    I didn't do that this past January, did I?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah searchy that was a total joke!!!! lol... there are some great tourists out there. I just find them funny, that's all! I do the same when I'm in a foreign location!

      Delete

Please post with a name, not anonymous.

How do I post a comment?
http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=42399