Thursday, April 5, 2012

My View on Views

As you know very well by now, I absolutely love how the city looks at night with all its twinkling lights... so imagine how much more so I love seeing it from above.

I'm talking about all those incredible views that the numerous New York City skyscrapers provide.

The problem is that I'm afraid of heights. Yes, I admit it. But that doesn't stop me from checking out the magical views from staggering heights. But only if I know I'm protected by a strong window or fence, and only if I stay far enough away from the edge.

A few weeks ago, I was babysitting a family that lives on the 18th floor of an apartment building in Lincoln Center.

It's a little blurry, but their view is unbelievable!


The two streets that are branching off are Broadway on the left side and Columbus Avenue on the right side. It's amazing how you can see dozens of blocks uptown from their dining room window.

The building on the bottom left is Lincoln Center. And guess what you can see from their window.
Revson Fountain!

(I wish I had a better picture of it, but it's really hard to take a picture from so high up while being afraid of falling at the same time):

Where is the fountain exactly?
In the center of the photograph, on the ground in the courtyard between the buildings, there are concentric circles. In the center of the circles is the Revson fountain.

Imagine having a fountain as part of your view... so awesome.

A family friend who lives around the corner from me has an amazing view from her roof. I took this picture last year right after a huge snowstorm (remember snow? Yeah, I miss it too).


That's the Hudson River over there.

I also think that the rooftops of other buildings are interesting to look at, especially because you generally see the buildings bottom-up. My favorite rooftops are the ones that have secret rooftop gardens on them.

Of course, how can I talk about views in New York City without mentioning the views from famous skyscrapers.

I was lucky to visit the top of the World Trade Center when I was a young child. My only memory of it is getting gum stuck to the bottom of my shoe while walking around the observation deck.

I went to the top of the Empire State Building in June 2010 with a few friends.



And I visited the Top of the Rock last year. Of them all, I think the Top of the Rock has the best view. Yes, I did stand five feet away from the edge until I forced myself to move closer.

Credit: www.wikipedia.com (view from the Top of the Rock)

As any New York City tourist will tell you, the charm of viewing NYC from above is how everything below looks like part of a doll's house. Miniature cars, ant size people, and toy buildings.

So until I manage to win the lottery and sightsee around the world, I'm happy to continue touring New York City and finding incredible views from above instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please post with a name, not anonymous.

How do I post a comment?
http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=42399