Monday, April 16, 2012

The Ultimate View!

Start out on 42nd and Lexington Avenue:


Find the beautiful entrance, made of black marble, alluminum and glass:
Credit: www.gonyc.about.com

Walk inside:
credit: www.oobject.com

Marvel at the amazing Art Deco design. Notice how the lighting shines on the colorful marble to create an exquisite effect.

The ceiling is incredible:
credit: flickr user Kimbar

Which building am I talking about...?

Credit: cityforward.wordpress.com

The few times I visited the Chrysler Building in the past, I've only been allowed in the lobby. Beyond the turnstiles to the elevators, no tourist is allowed.

credit: www.iloveoldny.com

Except...
(yes, that is inside the elevator. I'm passing the 60th floor there. Sorry about the blur).

Someone I know has an office in the Chrysler Building, and a few months ago she offered to take me in and show me around.

We finally made it happen last week!!!

The Chrysler Building has been my absolute favorite building in the entire New York City since I learned about it in Art History class two years ago.

I wrote about how much I love views a few weeks ago, so this was really exciting!!


Designed by William Van Alen, and completed in 1930, the Chrysler Building was the world's tallest building for 11 months until the Empire State Building shot up in 1931.

Notice the eagles gracing the corners a few floors beneath the spire?
credit: www.wiredny.com

On which Margaret Bourke was famously pictured taking pictures at death-defying heights?


Check them out from above:
That is 42nd street down below.

How cool is that?!

The view towards lower Manhattan (notice the new Freedom Tower being built - I visited the new 9/11 memorial, which you can read about here):

Upper Manhattan:

The West Side:

The East Side:

The iconic Pepsi-Cola sign in Long Island City, with one of UN buildings in the foreground:

And finally, the sun sets:


The Chrysler Building has a really interesting history.
Credit: www.aviewoncities.com

Which you can read about here.

One fun fact that you may not read about anywhere:
- The Chrysler Building was completed at the start of the Great Depression, so the beautiful lights that grace the ornate crown at the top of the building were never turned on because of the added expense. And then they were forgotten... until the 1980s when they were finally turned on!

Credit: www.wikipedia.org

Can you now understand why it's my most favorite building in the entire city?

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures! The chrysler is by far the most glamorous building in the city. Lucky you to get inside....

    ReplyDelete

Please post with a name, not anonymous.

How do I post a comment?
http://support.google.com/blogger/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=42399